2023 Special Election
On May 16, 2023 Carefree residents will have the opportunity to vote in a special election to determine the direction the Town will take in regard to fire and emergency medical services within the community. If voters approve this decision it will create a solvent and sustainable revenue stream to fund a transition to a more robust and dependable regional emergency response system called Automatic Aid.
Carefree Fire & Emergency Medical Services Report (PDF)
Video: CarefreeFire & Emergency Services
What's on the ballot?
Resolution 2022-18 calls for a special election to occur in May 2023 to consider a primary property tax to enable the community to support the long-term financial commitment to become part of Automatic Aid. By state law such special election can only occur in May.
- Should voters elect to approve a property tax to fund this service, Resolution 2022-19 is in place as a safeguard to restrict the funds collected with the primary property tax to fund the contract for Fire and Emergency Medical Services.
- If approved, the tax assessment will begin in July 2023 and will be due with the first Maricopa County collection in October 2023.
- Should voters elect not to approve a property tax to support an Automatic Aid contract, the Town of Carefree will continue its service contract with Rural Metro and inherit the risk of inadequate regional assistance during a time of need.
Proposed Tax Levy
- The proposed primary tax levy is capped at $2.0 million and will never exceed this amount without a public vote as outlined in the Town's ordinance.
- This levy does not cover the entire costs of funding the contract with an Automatic Aid partner. The Town will balance the remaining annual costs of its new fire contract with the Town’s annual sales tax collection, to pay for the 25-year commitment.
- Property taxes are not assessed on the market value of a home but a discounted valuation called Limited Property Value.
- A primary tax level of $2.0 million would translate for the average home in Carefree with a Limited Property Value (LPV) of $630,000, to $55.67 per month or $668 per year.
- For comparison, prior to the Town assuming the master contract with Rural Metro 20 years ago, residents were independently paying an average of $750 annually to Rural Metro. In today's dollar, that annual subscription would exceed $1,000 annually.
2023 SUPPORTING RESOURCES:
- Voter Information-Special Election 2023
- Budget Fact Sheet
- Press Release: Call for Arguments
- Town FAQ Document
2022 SUPPORTING RESOURCES:
- Resolution 2022-18 | Resolution 2022-19
- Resolution 2022-03 | Resolution 2022-04
- Council Presentation Dec. 2022
- Final Consultant Findings Report (entire document)
- Minutes: 11.17.2022 Citizen Workshop
- Minutes: 11.10.2022 Citizen Workshop
- Minutes: 11.03.2022 Citizen Workshop
- Minutes: 10.26.2022 Citizen Workshop
- Minutes: 10.19.2022 Citizen Workshop
- Handout: Fire Service Options in Carefree
- PPT Presentation: Fire & Emergency Medical Services in Carefree
- Video Presentation: Fire & Emergency Medical Services
- Announcing Citizen Workshops (Appendix E, Consultant Findings Report)
- Printed Media (Appendix F, Consultant Findings Report)
- Resolution 2022-10
2021 SUPPORTING RESOURCES:
- Carefree Public Safety Advisory Committee Final Report
- Public Safety Advisory Committee Agendas/Minutes
- Foothills Focus Article: Rural Metro Contract Excludes Carefree from Automatic Aid
- Request to Life Safety Council
- Response from Life Safety Council
- City of Scottsdale Notice of Cancellation of Mututal Aid to Rural Metro
- Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA): Cave Creek/Daisy Mountain Fired District
- Rural Metro Termination with Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Warns Carefree
- Rural Metro Denied Entrance to Auto Aid
- Letters from First Responders to Cave Creek
POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEES - 2023
|Keep Carefree Tax Free||Carefree Improvement PAC|
Keep Carefree Tax Free-Amended 3.10.23
|Carefree Improvement PAC|