The Cave Creek Cemetery, 36400 North Pima Road, is just south of the intersection of East Cave Creek Road and Pima Road on the east side of Pima Road.
The Cave Creek Memorial Cemetery was the vision of a longtime area resident, Elmer Gillespie, and implemented by the Cave Creek Improvement Association with land donated by the U.S. National Forest Service in May 1955. The cemetery is to remain in its natural desert state and was completed in April of 1956. Residents of the Cave Creek School District (Number 93) are eligible for internment in this tract.
Mr. Gillespie died in January 1956 and was honored as the 1st person buried on the site. The cemetery is now in Carefree with its incorporation in 1984 and is under the Town of Carefree's administration. Many military veterans are interred here and are honored by the American Legion.
For information, call Kandace French at 480-488-3686.