Planning & Zoning
Letter from the Director...
“Carefree Residents, there a two openings on the Planning and Zoning Commission. Members who serve on the Commission also serve on the Board of Adjustment and Development Review Board. Please refer to the Town’s advertisement for interested parties posted at this LINK.
The Town encourages and seeks new members interested in participating in discussions that affect and shape the future growth of our Town. Desirable traits of a Planning and Zoning Commissioner include an individual who works in a collaborative manner and as a team player. He or she is personable and remains calm, composed and professional when confronted with conflict. A Commissioner should be open-minded, knowledgeable, and committed to a long-range perspective and be able to provide critical, unbiased, and impartial recommendations to Town Council. If you possess some or all of these traits, please consider an appointment to Carefree’s Planning and Zoning Commission.”
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact Kandace French-Contreras, Town Clerk at Kandace@carefree.org.
If you have any questions concerning the Planning and Zoning Commission, please contact Stacey Bridge-Denzak, Planning Director at Stacey@carefree.org.
Stacey Bridge-Denzak, Planning Director
Town of Carefree
The Planning and Zoning Department oversees all aspects relating to both short-range and long-range planning and development in the Town of Carefree. The General Plan 2030 was updated in 2012, which outlines the general policies for development in the Town. The Zoning Ordinance, Town Code, Subdivision Ordinance, and Building Code provide the local regulations.
General Zoning Criteria
Design guidelines (see the documents list below) were established to give guidance on new commercial, new residential, and mountainside projects. They outline the general zoning criteria and other policies regarding the character of development in the Town. Prior to developing a property, applicants are encouraged to discuss the project with Town Staff to ensure the project and process comply with all applicable regulations.
Certain developments require approvals from different review boards or the Town Council, depending on the use, size, scope, and location, depending on Town regulations. The members of the Planning & Zoning Commission also serve on the Development Review Board and Board of Adjustment.
- Application Fee Schedule (10-16-07) (PDF)
- Carefree General Plan 2030 (PDF)
- Citizen Participation Ordinance (PDF)
- Commercial Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Development Standards, Table 6.1-Zoning Ordinance (PDF)
- Color Zoning Map - Current 6-07-2019
- Town of Carefree Future Land Use Map - Current 02-06-2018
- Mountainside Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Single Family Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Suppl Info - Single Family Residential Landcape Guidelines w Protected and Recommended Plants
- Subdivision Ordinance (Effective 8-18-11) (PDF)
- Volunteer Questionnaire - Commission and Other (PDF)
- Natural Washes and Arroyos Maintenence Info for Residents 6-27-2018
- Stormwater Pollution Guide 6-27-2018
- P-Z Board Volunteer Application 9-16-2020