Planning & Zoning
The Planning and Zoning Department oversees all aspects relating to both short-range and long-range planning and development in the Town of Carefree. The General Plan 2030 was updated in 2012, which outlines the general policies for development in the Town. The Zoning Ordinance, Town Code, Subdivision Ordinance, and Building Code provide the local regulations.
General Zoning Criteria
Design guidelines (see the documents list below) were established to give guidance on new commercial, new residential, and mountainside projects. They outline the general zoning criteria and other policies regarding the character of development in the Town. Prior to developing a property, applicants are encouraged to discuss the project with Town Staff to ensure the project and process comply with all applicable regulations.
Certain developments require approvals from different review boards or the Town Council, depending on the use, size, scope, and location, depending on Town regulations. The members of the Planning & Zoning Commission also serve on the Development Review Board and Board of Adjustment.
- Application Fee Schedule (10-16-07) (PDF)
- Carefree General Plan 2030 (PDF)
- Citizen Participation Ordinance (PDF)
- Commercial Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Color Zoning Map - Current 6-07-2019
- Town of Carefree Future Land Use Map - Current 02-06-2018
- Suppl Info - Single Family Residential Landcape Guidelines w Protected and Recommended Plants
- Subdivision Ordinance (Effective 8-18-11) (PDF)
- Volunteer Questionnaire - Commission and Other (PDF)
- Natural Washes and Arroyos Maintenence Info for Residents 6-27-2018
- Stormwater Pollution Guide 6-27-2018
- P-Z Board Volunteer Application 9-16-2020
- COMMUNITY DESIGN STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES - SINGLE FAMILY 2020
- DEVELOPMENT REVIEW MANUAL - SITE PLAN REVIEW 2020
- DEVELOPMENT REVIEW MANUAL - MOUNTAINSIDE - UPDATED 2020
- DEVELOPMENT REVIEW MANUAL - LAND DIVISIONS - UPDATED 2020
- COMMUNITY DESIGN STANDARDS AND GUIDLEINES - MOUNTAINSIDE 2020